Sunday, February 24, 2008

Excuse me, I have the plague.

No not really, I have a sinus infection, and an ear infection. But still.

So after I posted about encryption. The day after, I found a few mentions to a new project that was making it's rounds. Not a new project in a good way.

It turns out that the way RAM works now, it doesn't forget everything once the power is off. Including your encrypted password to boot your FDE box. Instead, SDRAM slowly suffers bit rot, and if you cool the chips it holds the data even longer.

The same day, /. came out with an spot about a new way to hack cell phone calls. All you need is about 1000.00 of storage and some other equipment. It's not like cell phones are secure, but it's becoming easier for people who aren't the government or the phone company to snoop.

Yes I sound paranoid at times, but I am paid to be. The first company spent lots of money to make me this way. :)

No comments: