Saturday, March 14, 2009

On blogging, writing and time usuage over all

I read sites like Pharyngula, Bad Astronomy, and Schneier on Security. And I wonder how they manage to write so many blog posts. BA and PZ more than Schneier, but even he manages to get a couple posts a week. Lately I'm lucky to post 1 time every 8 days.

Then today, I think I realized what they do, they write set a time apart daily to write, and write on several things at once, saving drafts to be polished later. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. I'd like to get Essential Blogging by Cory Doctorow and company (yes I know he's not the primary) to see how they say to do it.

Anyway I started thinking of this last night. I was looking for my copy of The Watchmen graphic novel after seeing the movie. Instead I found my old Journal. The paper kind. large books, about 8.5 by 11.5 (roughly). I got it cheap back in 2002. I wrote in it some last night, and I read what was in there before. Even then, I wrote several times that I never seem to have enough time to do the things I want.

Time has been on my mind a lot lately. Mainly since I live alone. I've picked up a new hobby (Monday nights Yoga), do Martial Arts about 3 days a week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday), teach Self Defense on Wednesdays. Usually, I come home, spend about an hour here, and then run out the door to go somewhere. Sometimes it's not even an hour. And I feel bad about leaving my parrot locked up in a cage all day. He's never been much of a cage bird. The store loved him, and would let him out and he'd follow the employees around, while they were cleaning up. The person I lived with would leave him out of the cage most of the day. Trying to get him in the cage when I leave is next to impossible.

Then when I get home, he usually hangs out for about 30 minutes or so, then gets really bitey because he want's to go to sleep. Since I still have only the one small cage, and the spare bed room isn't set up for him, I get chased away from the TV, my desk, and my cisco lab. Which adds to my problem of doing things at night, when I'm finally home.

I can take the laptop with me, but then it's all wireless (slower than wired) and I'm stuck doing things from bed.

Lastly, there have been several things I've wanted to blog about but just have not had the time.

No comments: