Tuesday, September 1, 2009

what I did for my Death-Day.

Deathday - 6 years later. September 1st, around 1 am I drunk driver tried to kill me. I was too stubborn to die, although the paramedics wanted to call me dead at the scene. Ever since, the first of September I have called it my Death-Day.

Wasn't that bad a day really. Only ate a few of my cookies. they don't taste as good as pre-frozen fresh. oh well.

Took the 1st gup test tonight. it was hard. I messed some stuff up.

Kids class was a pain. End of the term, I like to do terminology and class rules. That way if they come back the following term, they can set a better example. (We do class rules the new student's first night, but I like to refresh the whole class together). Just my thing.

However one kid, been a problem all term, getting a little better and says he won't be back, was acting up in the circle everyone else in it (all kids) feed off him. At one point I threw my manual over my shoulder, and pushed them through 20 burpees. One of the problem kids (7th gup) goofed off and bashed his knee on the floor. As cold as it sounds, I hope he learned his lesson. This term the kid's class has most of the instructors at their limit for patients.

My hand hurts from the soo do (karate chop) and yuk soo (reverse karate chop) breaks from the board tonight.

Breaks were 2 inch (double board) shuffle side kick. My foot went through it like butter. Soo Do break with an elbow break (2 part multi-break), and then I requested the yuk soo. I don't think my thumb was tucked right, but I liked the break.

First attempt on the multi-break I wasn't focused (bad hand, the one I don't like to try and break with anymore, since I messed up the knuckle earlier this year), the holders were not ready. 3rd Dan told me to walk it off for a minute. I had the 2 switch holds (so I could break good / breaking hand, and off elbow).

I'll find out my scores and get my cert Thursday. I doubt I didn't pass. But I don't think I did as good as I could have. Had problems with a couple of forms. I was too tense, and forgot one. I lowered my head to think in stance and ended up doing the rest of the form with my head down (problem I've had since 1985).

I requested to the yuk soo break, extra break beyond what I needed. I kid of wish the Master in charge of the board would have allowed my other test request. A Dan with a real knife of my knife defense portion. He said no, because we don't train real knife much. I'll have to do a real knife on my Dan test in a few months though. (If I passed tonight, December or January). December would be fitting. That'll make 24 years to the month since I started this journey.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm very glad you were too stubborn. Happy 2nd birthday...a little late.