Monday, March 14, 2011

new to me tools

I like finding "new" tools. That doesn't mean that the tools themselves are new, just new to me.

In Information Security, I play mostly on the defensive side. Firewalls, nmap scans of my boxes (the ones I'm responsible for), centralized logs, and google advanced searching.

That doesn't mean I don't want to learn some attacker skills. I'm always trying to learn more, to add more value. Even if the majority of my job now, doesn't involve much security (other than the occasional firewall rule).

Therefore I'm reading books on hacking. The one I'm reading now is Dissecting the Hack: The F0rb1dd3n Network. In the STAR section's first chapter I came across 2 tools that seem to be useful. They're plugins for Firefox.

Passive Cache Search: Lets you search the Google cache of a webpage. Usually searching the cached page still pulls down pictures and other multi-media from the site. But Passive Cache is supposed to have a way to do it as text only from the Google cache

Advanced Dork: Tool to help create advanced Google searches. This one should be fun. It's the one I've been playing with the most out of the two.

No comments: