Friday, December 19, 2008

My problems with AT&T U-verse

I'm thinking of canceling my AT&T U-verse, my cable and internet. Yes the service I just got turned on yesterday.

Nutshell version, they're sales people lie, and they force their environmental beliefs on you.


1) The sales lady lied to me about the install date. She said that they'd be able to push it up in the calendar. They didn't. They didn't even show up ON TIME.

2) They lied to me about the availability of Static IP addresses. there is no where in the router / cable modem combo that I've been able to find to set my static ip. Which I'm paying $15.00 a month for, for a block of 8 addresses. (Either way this is getting canceled).

3) The biggest reason I'm thinking about canceling and going to Comcast (and if you know how much I hate comcast, you'd understand how pissed this made me), is because the U-verse equipment had built in Energy Star technology. The system turns off if you haven't changed the channel in a while. Or done anything else with the remote. Now at night that doesn't bother me... But can anyone guess why that does bother me during the day, while I'm not home? It has to do with something about a foot long, very very loud with the mentality of a 2 to 3 year old.

Yes my bird watches tv. It's used to keep him company during the day while I'm at work. I can't train him to use the remote. He hates them, and attacks them. so what ever this magic number for going into energy star power down is, it's less than the amount of time I sit at work. I was very unhappy when I came home today only to find the tv blue with a bouncing AT&T logo.

And from what I've quickly read on-line there is not a way to change it. There is not a way to get them to change it, and there does not appear to be a way to opt out of the Energy Star garbage. And yes, that is a huge reason to cancel it, and go with a service I know is sub standard, and not worth the cost. I don't care if I can record 4 tv shows at one time, if the tv is not calming my bird down, then it's not worth the cost I'm paying for it.

No comments: