Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The usb version is faster

So yesterday at work, I killed my computer. I recovered it this morning. but because recovery could cause loss of data, I backed the box up first yesterday... Everything was still on the hard drive, but I deleted this tiny little partition that was needed to boot.

Last week we got a laptop in from a former sales associate. I don't know if I should laugh or feel insulted. He decided to "wipe" his hard drive before sending the company laptop back. One that he had his username, password, and EBAY account information taped too.

Anyway, I said last week I could recover it. One of the help desk people came over today and said that she was told to give it to me.

30 seconds after booting the thing with a USB Key with Linux (Knoppix) Installed, I was staring at the guy's data. Stupid users...

Seriously though, if you're going to delete your data, at least make it a challenge to get back. Do what I do, at least whipe the partition out. Deleting one boot file, not even worth the time really.

I started recovery on the laptop, but the fans were not running and it overheated. So I've re-did the boot with an external hard drive attached, and well the usb was faster to boot.

No comments: