Monday, August 31, 2009

Ugh... I made a mistake.

I made a mistake.

I've got a lot of work related books to read, and the list is getting longer all the time. Over the weekend I picked up a book on speed reading. 2 actually, at the local library. 1 is a 10 day program, the other I'm not sure about.

Anyway... The NEW 3rd edition of Hacking for Dummies (something recommended at the Ethical Hacker Forums) is coming out soon. The other week, I asked if I should get 2nd ed for 15.00 via Amazon, or wait until December. They said if I could get it now, and read it now, I'd learn more by practicing now, than waiting for the new edition in December. Since I have so much to read, I figured I'd wait. Focus on things that need to get done at work. (Things like setting the networking graphs up (got the ones I needed done), setting up the server monitoring tools (large book), fixing the broken servers (waiting on parts) ).

For some reason between last week, and this week I started looking at the online 2nd edition of HfD on Safari. They won't let me download the whole book, I'm assuming because the new one is coming out. But other than speed reading, that's all I read today (book wise). I finished the preface, the introduction and the first 2 chapters (printed the chapters off for a car pool that did not happen). I've been using some of the tricks I'm picking up in the speed reading book.

Although my reading speed is still between 265 and 300 wpm, with a comp between 70 to 90 % right now.

I'm enjoying Hacking for Dummies, I can't wait to read chapter 3... but I really really should finish Firewalls and Internet Security. I'm about 2/3 of the way done with it so far. The furthest I ever made it. I'm still torn between buying 2nd or 3rd edition of HfD too. I have a feeling I'll end up buying both.

Lastly I should really, really, really be studying for a certification exam (and trying to find a way to pay for it (CCNA, LPI, wouldn't mind Sec+ but I have the books for the other ones)), or writing the essay that's due tomorrow for my 1st gup test in Tang Soo Do.

Lots to do at work too... I'd say I need a time management book, but I've already read Time Management for the System Administrator 2x, and how I'm finding time to do everything I need. I've got a block of time (ie lunch tomorrow) for the essay questions (note they're designed for kids).

Of course, the biggest question at this point is where do I want my career to go?

No comments: