Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And to top it all off, I need to get some blue thread.

Today sucked. Really really sucked.

I woke up sore and tired again. My back was hurting again. Not as bad as last week, but sore enough that I really really really thought about calling in sick today.

Then I get to work. Long story short there, a piece of networking equipment died, and took us off line for about 8 hours. The first 3 hours, you could reach the company websites, but that was it. At 12:30, we rebooted a piece of equipment. Before I did it, I said I didn't think it would fix the problem. I was right. It made it worse. I said worse case, we'll be dead in the water. Close enough, we didn't have any external presence on the ineternet.

In kicks the adrenaline, because shit just hit the fan, and it was my job to fix it. Trying to do 3 or 5 things at once, and making little headway on any of them. Finally I focus on one of them, get the websites back up, even if it's limping along, so the outside world could see us. About an hour later (note this is about 2 hours after the reboot), I got the system up. Changed ip address, monkeyed around with the firewall, ran cables over the floor. All while waiting for Cisco to deliver a new part to us.

Around 3:30, I ran out for comfert food. Regardless of the fact that I had steamed colliflower and broccli, 2 pergoies, and half a chicken breast for lunch at 12:15. I went and got 2 Double cheeseburgers minus onion plus bacon, large fry, large dr pepper, and a large frosty from wendy's. Got back, ate the first burger, felt like crap. After washing my face and hands, to free them of ketchup and mayo (note this around 4pm now, and the part isn't due until after 6pm) I see a car parked on the sidewalk in front of the door. I go out to the lobby, and it was Cisco's delivery team with the part. I don't think the guy thought I was authorized to sign for it, but my name was on the package too, or was supposed to be.

Opened the boxes, and the adrenaline kicked back in, as I flipped the power switches on the equipment. Meanwhile my frosty is melting. Replace the bad card, and everything comes back up... Except the web sites because of the changes I made. So I quickly run off to change the firewall, reconfig the box I changed, change DNS, and all other kinds of fun things that took me an hour to do the first time (un-did it in 15 minutes), and life was happy.

However after running on adrenaline for so long, I'm now exhausted. I was going to come home and just go to bed. Skipped Martial Arts... Of course I diddn't leave work until 6pm. Got bird out of his cage, since it's going down to around -5f tonight, I stopped to retape my bed room window. If I had the tape I'd do the other one, and I really need to get some more weather tape, and replace all the duct tape I used. But it's not as drafty in here. Still some drafts but not as bad.

In the process I cut a line in my blue blanet on my bed. Stupid razor knife. I know it was my own fault. I didn't see the cut (and I looked at the time) until I got in bed. I hope it doesn't get worse between now and the weekend, so I can get some thread and sew it back up. Yes I know how to sew. Which does surprise people. Nothing fancy, but I can make small repairs, and put patches on clothes, I did all the patches on my martial arts uniforms myself. Although next time, I'm going to pay someone.

I was going to skip ETK tonight. but I wanted something to make me feel better than I when I was getting ready to go to bed.

Warm up: 10 minutes.
10x wall squat
10x halo (16kg, 5 to the right, 5 to the left)
10x pumps
Total: 4 sets, could have done more, but I stopped to get the kettlebell off my bookshelf, take off my sweat pants, change my shirts, get my water from the kitchen, etc.

Workout: 24kg, 5 minutes
5 left, 5 right Turkish Get Up.

Had enough time to do a 6th one on the left, but decided against it.

No comments: